I am a teacher at a small school. My subjects are Chemistry and Physics. The school has problems but instead of whining they are trying to fix the problems.

Saturday, February 17, 2007

The question is not "are the kids I teach on drugs?"

The question is "what drugs are they on?"

There are many on legally prescribed, helpful mood altering drugs. These kids often pretend to take the drugs then sell them to their buddies.

Then there are parents who will buy alchohol for their minors. There are parents who are in rehab or currently taking drugs. The pot, meth, ritalin, blood pressure medicine which is snorted. Very little coke, though I suspect some crack users. I'm becoming good at looking for the signals of the drugs. "he was okay this morning, now after lunch he's bouncing around the room, now he's crashing..."

Even the innocent sugar, the illegal for minors skoal, and the slipping of vodka into water bottles are problems. I watched a sugar rush happen on Valentine's day. A group of trying to do better kids slowly errupted into a riot. I _watched_ the transformation happen.

No comments: