I am a teacher at a small school. My subjects are Chemistry and Physics. The school has problems but instead of whining they are trying to fix the problems.

Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Annnnd he's off!

The first class of the day is GED. Most of the students who try in this class have already made the minimum they need, have left and some even have finished and gotten their GEDs. The ones in now have always been in who make no effort and others who came in when slots became open.

Normally the GED teacher is with me, but she's been in the hospital.

Then there is Nathan. Its Nathan's first day in GED. He's court ordered to attend school, he thinks he'll just pass the GED and get out. I've had him before in the regular science class and I want the best for him. I don't let him slide which is what he wants. He thinks cussing will get me rilled, since he's never cussed me I let that part slide. But I don't give him slack, I don't let him just sit the corner. My comment was "I will ride him like a carousel pony." I can get work out of him. He's been skipping school and avoiding the police for something. Finally turned himself to court and got the usual "go to school, stay out of trouble..." routine.

Class starts, "everybody sit down." Somebody said something to Nathan which riled him. Did I mention he's a coward, and about ...oh 400 pounds, okay closer to 250 but none of its muscle. So Nathan gets mad walks away and goes to another student not involved, says "get out of my seat little boy." and kicks his chair. Call box is hit and a I call for campus police, while ordering him out of the class. This starts a tirade of cussing, the cop can hear him in the hall.

So he's suspended for a week, and will be in non compliance of the court order.

what a way to go the first day of a new program.

No comments: